Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Comfortable in the Kitchen

Well, I'm back. It was a lovely holiday and I cooked and baked more than I ever have before! I had a lot of firsts: homemade marshmallows, homemade smores (with homemade marshmallows), Chef Hallman's famous cinnamon rolls, and Christmas dinner.




And now, it's back to school and back to cooking with a person looking over your shoulder and grading every move you make. In each class we had a practical exam on the first day. That was... well... awful. I did fine, though. I didn't have time to get all worked up over it, so I was more relaxed. This is definitely something I have noticed in these first two weeks of Semester 2. I have a certain relationship with the kitchen now that I never had before. I'm not afriad to get burned, cut, or wounded in any way. Instead, I have a respect for my knives, the skillets and stock pots in the kitchen, and myself.

I can't wait to continue this crazy journey I decided to embark on. Today my partner and I made a killer Bolognese sauce. Chef Joe tasted and it grinned. I'm really not sure if there is a better compliment out there.



No comments: