Thursday, June 11, 2009

Too Late to 'Pologize?




Sorry it's been so long since I've updated. School has a tendency to (A) freak me out and (B) take up quite a bit of time. So, here's what's been happening since I last wrote:


1. I survived a year of culinary school. Tah dah! I've learned so much I can't even comprehend it. I finished cake decorating... which was awesome, difficult, and super rewarding. The photo above is me and my final exam cake. It was a lot of work, but I was so proud of it! I also finished Culinary II. I'm much more confident in my cooking abilities now. I can't wait to see what we do next semester!
2. I'm two days into the summer semester right now. I'm taking Advanced Baking (and Principles of Management.... I know, thrilling, right?) with the amazing Chef Catherine Hallman. She can fix anything, make anything, and do anything you need when it comes to baking. We've already made:
- Brioche rolls (oh the buttery goodness...)
- Lemon Buttermilk Poundcake (light and delicious)
- Chocolate Marquise Torte (dang. this thing had a lot of pieces...)
- Italian Buttercream Frosting (the best frosting I've ever eaten in my entire life. period.)
- Gianduja (basically, a fancy name for nutella)
- Japonaise (hazelnut meringue)
- Chocolate Chiffon Cake (chocolate cake with meringue folded into the batter)
- Cointreau (simple syrup flavored with Triple Sec)
- Soft Ganache
- Hard Ganache
- Havana Torte
Yes, we made all this in two days! Intense? Indeed it was. But, I'm learning quite a bit and am loving every minute of it. There are only seven of us in the class, so we can get a lot of one-on-one time with Chef. Awesome times!
So, I'll try to be better about updating... but, until then, peace, love, and hair grease (to quote Dusting Cochran).
Mari

1 comment: