Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Something Fishy...





Today was fish day in Culinary I class. I can't believe how many people don't like fish! It blows my mind. I wonder how many of them have ever had good fish, though. We are in a land-locked state, so it sorta makes sense.
We learned to filet a flat fish and a round fish. My group (Lanna, Mindy, and I) also got to tackle some mussels. The recipe was just for mussels, but we made a pasta dish with marinara for 1/2 of the mussels (top picture) and a garlic white wine cream sauce for the other portion (middle picture). Delicious.
Our other assignment was Flounder Patouille (the third picture down). Basically, that is just a fancy way of saying: seared flounder with red bell peppers, red onion, celariac, and terragon - wrapped in butter-coated parchment paper, and tossed in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Everything went pretty well today and I'm feeling quite good about my new cooking abilities! Today was our LAST culinary I class in the kitchen. Sadness! But, next semester will be fantastic! Good times...


No comments: