Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Georgia Peach Salad with Arugula, Avocado, and Grapefruit


Before I moved to Georgia, I'd never eaten a peach before. I had eaten things that looked a lot like peaches, had fuzzy peach-like skin, and had that funky pit in the center. But, the flavor of these imposters was dull and the texture of the flesh was mealy. Nope. They couldn't have been peaches. I saw signs for Lane Farms (a peach orchard about 15-20 minutes from here in Fort Valley) that boasted fresh Georgia peaches and so I went - on a hunt for something that had flavor. And that, my friends is what I found. After eating one of their peaches, I knew that all the peaches I'd eaten before were faux fruit - peach imposters.

Since I got those peaches, I've put them on my cereal each morning, added them to salads for lunch, and eaten them with angel food cake for dessert. I was watching my favorite cooking show, Back to Basics with the Barefoot Contessa, and she made an avocado and grapefruit salad. It looked delicious, but I wanted to spice it up a bit (no offense, Ina. I love you.). I just made her recipe and added fresh baby arugula and some sliced Georgia peaches!

It was the perfect lunch - the acidity of the dressing and grapefruit went perfectly with the peppery flavor of the arugula and the sweet goodness of the peaches.

As you can see, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I encourage you to enjoy the last of this season's peaches... especially if they're Georgia peaches. The other ones in the grocery stores... well... we know all about them.
Enjoy!
~ Mari

1 comment:

lynn bland said...

Those peaches were beyond delicious! I'm still dreaming of them