Thursday, September 2, 2010

Late Summer Update

After all those years of watching my mom and dad garden and do yard-work, I realized how much I didn't want to have any part in that world. The world of spiny plants, yellow jacket attacks, and rushing inside to take a shower to get the ticks off. Yeah. Not really appealing, right?

Wrong. Ok - so, the actual act of gardening isn't a super fun time, but the result of all that hard work is quite magnificent. Especially when you can eat the things you grow!

I started a little herb garden next to the garage. At first, I was dissapointed with my thumb and it's ability to grow healthy plants (the leaves were a little yellow and they were growing pretty slowly), but after a month, the garden is doing quite well!

I have mint, basil, sage, oregano, parsley and... sunflowers (just for color). I've been using herbs from my OWN garden and am quite proud of myself. :)

Here was my other project - the front flower bed. The rose bushes don't look so hot and they will probably be gone (by way of Ryan and a big shovel) by the fall, but they shall stay there for now. I planted some Gerber Daisies, Pink Vinca, Lantana, and a Butterfly bush. It looks so much better now that we've mulched it and planted a few things!


And there's the front porch - where I sit and watch the hummingbirds guard their feeder. :) I cannot tell you how GLAD I am that it's starting to cool off here. Yahoo!
Thanks for looking!
~ Mari



2 comments:

Claire said...

I love the porch! It looks so relaxing and welcoming. Very Mari Bland-Smith :)

lynn bland said...

Your porch does look inviting..I' m looking forward to next week when I can be sitting in one of those chairs and sampling something from that lovely herb garden.