Saturday, October 18, 2008

From Scratch



I though, how better to study for a baking exam, than to bake? So, that is what I did. I decided to make a yellow layer cake... from scratch.

So that's why cake mixes are so fantasmical.

I must say, though, I had a real sense of accomplishment when I put the first delicious bite of cake in my mouth.

Problems:

1. The cake is... umm... not yellow. It's white. I had to use rice milk mixed with evaporated milk instead of milk. Hah. Yes... I'm an odd one. I know this. But, it's all I had! I cannot imagine how that would have affected the cake color, though. Hmmm...

2. It was mighty dense. I figured it wouldn't be the same consistency as a cake mix cake, but it was pretty dense. It tasted wonderful, though. So, should I really complain? The one we made in school had a similar texture. Maybe it's supposed to be like that?

3. It took all bloody day! First you cream the butter & sugar, then you add a little flour, mix, then add a little milk, mix, then add a little flour... etc. It was intense. But, good things take a little effort. And it was definitely good.

I found the icing on the food network. Can't remember who's recipe it was, but it was GOOD. Pumpkin cream cheese frosting. Nice.

So, that was my messy, floury adventure in the kitchen for today. I also studied... a lot. I have to study some more tomorrow. I also have an exam tomorrow. On Suday. Yep. Good times.

Off to "Notting Hill." One of my favorites. :)

~ Mari ~

No comments: