Sunday, October 12, 2008

Growing on me like mold on blue cheese...


I wasn't convinced about this whole culinary school thing. It's rough, let me tell ya. I have one class that is honestly just learning to wait tables and serve people properly. NOT what I want to be doing with my life. But, we have made some better tasting food now:


Baking:


- Challah Bread

- Cinnamon Rolls (good god.... they were amazing)

- Banana Nut Muffins

- Yellow Cake

- Hi-Ratio Cake (sorta tasted like corn bread... weird)

- Kaiser Rolls

- Sandwich Cookies

- Hazelnut Cookies

- Orange Cranberry Biscotti


Culinary I:


- Brown Veal Stock

- Hollandaise Sauce

- Brown Chicken Sauce

- Consomme (very weird process on this one)

- Beef Bourguignon (yummy on mashed potatoes)


We've also learned some neato and not-so-neato knife cuts in the process. We practice our cuts on the mirepoix (onions, carrots, & celery added to stocks, soups, and braises) and many many MANY potatoes. This past Wednesday we all tried to cut potatoes into the "tourne" shape. UGH. I ended up cutting my thumb and my friends made letters out of the potato pieces instead. It was quite amusing. Chef Cairns had a chuckle at our expense.

So, it's growing on me... although some of the people in my classes are just downright mean! I don't understand it. So far I've had some pretty OK partners, though one or two have made me want to HIT them on the nose with a poorly-tourned potato or two. I have made some friends, though. Although, I'm in a weird spot - since I went to college, I am four years older than all of the high school kids and younger than the "adult" college students. I'm still trying to find my niche.
Get excited- my next culinary one class will be making Pasta Fresca (fresh pasta). I am QUITE excited. That I can get into.
I will try to be better about posting - I've been in a rut lately. I do apologize.




No comments: