Monday, August 9, 2010

Baked Sweet Potato Fries


So, sweet potatoes are delicious and nutritious. They are also one of my favorite foods. Also, who doesn't like French fries? So, I consulted someone that I seldom consult: Paula Deen. Nothing wrong with Paula, but I would never have dreamed that she would have a healthy sweet potato fries recipe. Surprise! She did. So, I tweaked it a bit... and here's what I made!

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

3 large sweet potatoes

extra virgin olive oil

salt

black pepper

sugar

cinnamon

allspice

paprika

onion powder

First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Then peel the sweet potatoes. Next, use a mandolin (or cut them by hand like moi...hehe) to cut the potatoes into French fry shapes (potato sticks). Place the sticks into a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over them. Toss the sticks to coat them with the oil.

Sprinkle the potatoes with 2-3 Tbsp. of salt, 2 Tbsp. sugar, and enough of the other spices to coat the fries. Don't overdo it, but make sure that the spices are on there enough that you can see it.

Spread the potato sticks onto a sheet pan (make sure that they aren't overlapping too much so that they cook evenly). Stick them in the oven and allow them to cook for about 25-30 minutes. You'll know when they're done if the edges are a little crispy and caramelized. Granted, these aren't going to be super crispy fries, but they taste DELICIOUS and are much better for you that fried fries.



Let the fries cool for 5-10 minutes. They are good to go now, but what are french fries without ketchup? And since tomato ketchup would not be the greatest with sweet potatoes, I made a maple butter sauce. All I did for the sauce was mix a little whipped butter with pure maple syrup.



And voila! They're done! Ryan and I ate them with homemade bison burgers. Yummers.


Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
~ Mari

5 comments:

Lauren said...

yum those look dang good!!!

Claire said...

I would blog about my meals, but they would be stuff like "peanut butter and jelly sandwich!" or "several handfuls of dry cereal and a granola bar!" or "soup you can drink right out of the can!" :) Your blog makes me salivate and I miss you.

Mari Bland Smith said...

Haha - love it, Clarissa! Though my meals sound exciting... there are many nights when I have PB&J and cereal. Don't fret. Just because I'm Chef Bland doesn't mean I don't eat cereal for dinner. :) I miss you too!

lynn bland said...

Mine didn't look like yours! I guess that Culinary Degree does mean something......

Anonymous said...

Ryan and I go for the chips! I like them thin and crispy!