Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Homemade Granola Bars

Granola bars are great. Quick, tasty, and very portable. You know what's not great about granola bars? They aren't the best things for you. Even if you get the 90 calorie kind (Ryan's personal favorite), they still have things like caramel color, corn syrup solids, and all kinds of other lovely things I can't pronounce. In other words, they are processed. Plus, they only have about 1 gram of fiber each! So, I decided to take a crack at making a healthier, more protein-filled granola bar that isn't too hard on the wallet either. I've made a few different versions, but I like this one best. Keep in mind you can substitute things to your liking. If you don't like almonds, use walnuts. If you don't like chocolate chips (you're an alien), use carob chips or dried fruit. Get the idea? Good.

Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

1 cup organic rolled oats, toasted
1 cup crispy rice (that's Rice Krispies to you)
3/4 cup wheat germ (you can find this at health food stores and Publix)
1/2 cup toasted & chopped pecans
1/2 cup toasted & chopped almonds
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup nonfat dry milk
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/4 cup real maple syrup (you know how I feel about Mrs. Butterworth...)
1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce
3 eggs
1 egg white

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Heat peanut butter and maple syrup (in a microwave safe bowl) in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir to combine. Add peanut butter mixture to dry ingredients. Beat eggs and egg white in bowl and add. Next, add applesauce. Stir to combine. Mixture should be moist, but not runny. Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray. Place a piece of parchment paper in the pan so that two sides (the 13 inch sides) of the parchment stick out over the sides. This will make is super simple to pick up the granola bars out of the pan and cut them. Now, bake them for 20-25 minutes (until set and lightly browned). Take them out and let them cool. Then lift them out of the pan using your parchment paper handles and place on a cutting board. Cut into rectangles and wrap individually with cling wrap. Refrigerate half and freeze half. Or don't. Whatever you want!




Hope you like them! :)

~ Mari

3 comments:

Sara said...

Oh you KNOW I am trying these out!! Yay! They sound great! :-)

Elizabeth said...

Oh, these look delicious! I've been trying to find a good homemade granola bar, so I will give these a shot soon! I made some once and used dried cherries and almonds; it was like cherry pie. Please post something about pie next :)

Mari Bland Smith said...

I know! I need to make pie! I looooove pie. I promise I will do a pie post soon. ;)