Tuesday, July 19, 2011

New Project...

I could barely contain my excitement when I picked up my very first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) bag yesterday evening... and can you blame me? Look at all the goodies I got for just $20!

(Clockwise from left)
Purple Hull Peas
White Hakurei Turnips
Bag of asian greens
Cucumbers
Baby Summer Squash
Yellow Peppers
Purple Eggplant
White Eggplant

To be honest, I've never worked with peas, turnips, or asian greens, so this will be an adventure! I will be getting one of these each week for the next 9 weeks and I plan to make some exciting new dishes with these exciting new ingredients! And please... if you have any suggestions, let me know! (Purple Hull Pea recipes anyone??)

Last night I did use those precious little summer squash on a yummy pasta dish. I just sauteed them with some shallots and added some (homemade) frozen pesto. Then I boiled some penne pasta and tossed it all together. I knew I could get Mr. Smith to eat squash! All I had to do was disguise it in pesto and pasta... two of his favorites!

So- keep checking back for the next 9 weeks for recipes (and, I'm sure, some epic recipe failures)!

~ Mari

P.S. If you're in the Macon/Warner Robins area, here is the website for the CSA baskets.

No comments: