Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thai Noodle Salad


According to the radio, today we have a heat advisory here in Middle Georgia. The high is going to be 102 degrees, but it will feel like 110 degrees. Awesome. So, I wanted to share with you a very refreshing and cooling salad that can make that heat a bit more bearable.

I got the idea from this month's issue of Fine Cooking magazine (my favorite cooking mag). In it, there was a section on limes and what to do with them. (Just buy a big bag and make the agua fresca from my last post... and this salad. Yum!) One recipe that really stood out to me was the Vietnamese-Style Rice Noodle Salad. And so, I did what I do... and adapted. Here's what I came up with:

Thai Noodle Salad

1 bunch Japanese buckwheat noodles (I found them at Kroger)
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
2 cups shredded chinese cabbage (if you can't find this, use iceburg lettuce)
2.5 large handfuls of broccoli slaw mix
1 small cucumber, diced
3-4 medium radishes, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped

Dressing:
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 Tbsp. agave nectar
1 Tbsp. grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, combine all of the dressing ingredients in a large bowl and let sit. When the water is boiling, add the noodles and stir. Cook according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and toss with the sesame oil (if it isn't enough to coat the noodles, add a little canola or olive oil).

While the noodles cool, prep the other veggies. Combine everything (except the peanuts) in the bowl and toss. Serve cool and sprinkle peanuts on top (so they don't get soggy).

Cooked buckwheat noodles
(They look just like what's on the package!)


Chinese Cabbage

Mmmm...

I served the salad with Chicken Satay
and Peanut Sauce
(Courtesy of Tyler Florence)
Stay cool and enjoy! ;)

~ Mari

No comments: