Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What To Do With Purple Hull Peas:


Remember how I asked for purple hull pea recipes in my last post? Well, I didn't get any responses (it's ok... I doubt anyone knew what to do with them)... so I made one up! (as a side note, I did find one recipe on the world wide interweb that called for "fat back." I did NOT make that recipe.) I hulled the little buggers and they looked a lot like black eyed peas... so I made a three- bean salsa that came out pretty dang good, I must say! You'd like to know how to make it, you say? Wish granted:

Three Bean Salsa

1.5 cups cooked purple hull peas or black eyed peas (to cook, just boil in salted water until tender)
1 can black beans
1 can white beans
1 large red bell pepper, cored and diced
1.5 cups frozen corn, cooked (according to package directions)
1 container salsa
3 tomatoes, diced
juice (and zest) of one lime
1 small handful of cilantro
Salt, to taste
Smoked paprika, to taste
Ground red pepper, to taste
Chili Powder, to taste
Onion powder, to taste (you can use a fresh onion, but raw onions are rough on my tummy... so I stay away)

Drain the canned beans and combine everything in a large bowl until it tastes how you want it to! It doesn't get much more simple than that! (Note: use half of the lime zest first and then taste it. If it's perfect, don't add the rest of the zest - it might be too overpowering, depending on the size of your lime)

Purple Hull Peas
(no longer in the shell)

Those are my preferred bean brands.

Spices!
Mix it all up and enjoy!
Ryan and I ate the heck out of this stuff! I used it as a side dish with some baked grouper and we also ate it with some blue corn chips (Frito-Lay brand, of course). But, I think it would be great with tacos or quesadillas or... well... in a spoon!

Hope you enjoy it!

~ Mari

1 comment:

Jillian said...

You are so culinarily creative!! I don't even like beans and that looks delicious!