Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mary Bland


I can't believe I'm getting married in less than 2 months. I'm really excited about it (of course) and am updating my checklist regularly (oh yes, I have a checklist). One thing I have really enjoyed about the whole wedding process is that, though I had a few influences along the way, no one told me, "You MUST do this, this, and this!" Thankfully, I (and the future hubby) got to make almost every single decision. I wonder if Mary Bland (my grandmother - photo above) had that luxury? Though her wedding was years ago, I'm sure some of the same social norms exist today that make it difficult for brides to actually enjoy their wedding and wedding planning experience. One thing I can say for Mary, is that she looks absolutely stunning in that photograph. I wish I could have met her and that she could be at my wedding in May. From what I hear of her, she had a great sense of humor and was an excellent cook (two traits I admire in anyone).
Well, I'm off to enjoy the rest of this beautiful spring day by eating bison burgers (yummers...if you haven't had one, I would highly recommend it) made by my dad (who learned to cook from Mary Bland).
:) Mari

No comments: