Monday, July 5, 2010

2 Weeks with Andy Saftel



Where have I been? I've been at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN! Mom and I are taking a class from one of our favorite artists - Andrew Saftel. Andy is not only a FABULOUS artist, but he's a fabulous person as well. It truly is an honor to spend two whole weeks making art and learning from him.

The class is a mixed media class (aka- use whatever the heck you want in your artwork!), so it's fun and messy! There are nine of us in the class (someone came as far as Michigan!) and we get along great! Everyone has their own unique style with their art (even though we've talked extensively about why "style" is not necessary in art...).

Here are some pieces that I've been working on in the class:

Here are three bug-inspired pieces done on artist board. The one on the bottom left isn't finished...but, I'll let you know how it goes!

Here's a stamp I carved (on Speedball Easy-Cut) of a catfish...hehe



And here's what it looks like when he's stamped!


Here's another work in progress...



Then I worked on some more 3-D pieces



They are moving right along! Not finished yet, but almost!
(notice the tomato theme... hehe)
So, things are moving right along! It's a pretty intense experience...living and breathing art! It's wonderful! :)

Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

Jillian said...

These are so AMAZING!!! :) I love them!! What a handsome catfish that is. ;) I think the work in progress with the Great Gatsby on it is my favorite... I just love the colors and the feel of it.

How awesome, to be able to live and breathe art for 2 whole weeks! Enjoy the classes and enjoy creating! :)

ps. I MISS YOU oh so very much! Thank you for faithfully reading my little field school blog. It means a lot, my friend! :)