Thursday, April 7, 2011

BLTA (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Avocado Salad)


The BLT is arguably one of the best sandwiches ever. Let's face it: bacon is arguably one of the best things ever. So, I decided to make them for dinner last night. Then I started thinking... how could I make a healthy version of the classic sandwich? Now, I certainly can't take the fat out of the bacon, but I used low sodium bacon. Then I thought about creating a salad version of the tastiest of sandwiches. The majority of the meal is fresh and tasty boston lettuce and arugula and instead of two huge pieces of bread, I made croutons!

BLTA Salad

1 small head boston lettuce
A few handfuls of arugula
1 tomato
1 avocado
4 pieces low sodium bacon
3 slices bread (I used homemade sourdough, but any good stale bread will work)
1-2 Tbsp. EVOO
Salt & pepper
spices to taste
dressing of choice (I made a homemade honey mustard vinaigrette)

Put the bacon in a cold pan and turn up to medium-high heat. Once they are crispy and browned, remove them from the pan and place on a paper towel to cool and crisp-up. Wash, tear, and dry the lettuce. Dice the bread slices, tomato and avocado. Take the bread and toss it with EVOO, salt, pepper, and spices (I used dried italian herbs). Saute them in a pan or pop them in the oven (on 400) for about 10 minutes - until crispy. Now, assemble the salad! Toss everything together and add the dressing!


There it be! :) Enjoy this sandwich-turned-salad guilt-free!

~ Mari

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! But...how did you make croutons?

Mari Bland Smith said...

I tell how to make it in the recipe! :) They're so easy!