Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Going Into the Closet


You know what's very easy to NOT do? Take some super grim-looking before shots of a closet that you plan to overhaul. I totally forgot to take a picture of what this closet looked like behind those doors a few days ago. But, I'm sure you can picture it: lots of plastic boxes full of crap, piles of computer cables, and some art supplies scattered around. It is the office closet afterall - our catch-all closet that had everything but clothes in it.

So, since Mom was in town, I decided to take advantage of her great ideas and organizational skillz and put her to work! Hah. I'd had this idea brewing in my brain for a while now: I needed a desk. Not a computer desk or a work desk, but a Mari desk. One where I could create artwork, write letters, etc. But, most importantly, one that I would not have to clean each time I used it. A tall order, I know. That's probably why I have no before pictures - because I didn't think I could pull off my plan! I wanted to turn the office closet into a space where I could close the doors and hide the clutter that a creative space would surely have. And that, ladies and gents, is what we did!

It's a closet desk!
Basically, we took two nightstands (circa "I don't know when") with drawers and stuck them in the closet facing each other. Then my dad and Ryan went to Lowe's and bought a beautiful wooden "shelf" (for only $35). They cut it to fit and we stuck it on top of the tables. It ended up being a bit short, so we propped it up on some 2x4's and voila: desk in a closet!

Beautiful drawers (lol)
The perfect space for creating!
Paint Box
So, there you have it! It really was an incredible transformation (sorry you couldn't enjoy it as much without that darn before pic...). And I can't wait to get in there and start creating!

~ Mari

2 comments:

Lauren said...

i LOVE this and if i could get our guest bedroom closet cleaned out, i might just have to copy you...

Mari Bland Smith said...

It really didn't take that long to do! Feel free to copy away! Haha :)