Monday, April 19, 2010

The "Whatever You've Got in Your Fridge" Pizza


Don't judge this pizza by her looks - she's unbelievably tasty, however knobbly she may be. Every two weeks or so my mom and I get a hankerin' for homemade pizza. And tonight, the above photo is what came of our efforts. Are you ready? It was a: goat cheese - roasted tomato - spinach - caramelized onion - hard-boiled egg - mustard vinaigrette pizza! And how did I discover that all of these ingredients made one hell of a pizza? By making it...out of random goodies in the fridge!



Mom made her famous pizza dough (which I will put on here eventually), but you can make any pizza dough recipe or buy a ready-made pizza crust. Then we drizzled olive oil on it, put the pre-roasted tomatoes (mom does this in the summer when we have more tomatoes than we know what to do with) on top and plopped globs of goat cheese on it. Then we baked it in the oven on 500 degrees F until the crust browned and bubbled.

Next we put fresh spinach, caramelized onions (I caramelized them before-hand in a little red wine), and sliced hard-boiled eggs on top. Then I drizzled my homemade mustard vinaigrette (dijon mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, thyme, and basil) over the whole thing!



I must say, it was quite good! The combination of the sweet onions, the tart roasted tomatoes, and the creamy eggs and mustard vinaigrette was a great variation on the old "pizza with red sauce and lots of cheese" trick.
~ Mari


Spinach on FoodistaSpinach

No comments: